Skip to main content

Spooky Recommendations

That time of year is among us once again. The horribly tacky lawn decorations, cheesy movies on Disney channel and the anxiety of last minute costume ideas. It's October, aka Halloween month. So here are a few eerie reads that I personally recommend!



Image result for miss peregrine's home for peculiar childrenMiss Peregrine's Home For Peculiar Children 

So this is the darkest book on thislist in my opinion. There are dead children with freaky abilities, monsters that remind me of the Ood from Doctor Who, and super creepy photographs. So if you want something that will really keep you awake at night this is what I would recommend. It is the first book in a trilogy and it is written by Ransom Riggs!










Image result for the madman's daughter

The Madman's Daughter by Megan Shepherd 

So this is a retelling of The Island of Dr. Moreau by H.G Wells. Personally it is a bit to weird for my taste but if that is what you are into I do recommend this, The writing was good and the story was interesting as well. I had to stop reading because the idea of what these living beings had to go through is too much for me. I'm fine with thrillers but this kind of thing horrified me and still makes appearances in my nightmares. I believe this is a trilogy as well. 









Image result for the unbecoming of mara dyerThe Unbecoming of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin 

This book is more eerie than it is scary. The narrator is unreliable and suffers from PTSD. So you don't really know what is going on. The love interest is as good as they get. The third and last book comes out November fourth so if you read it now you'll probably have time to read the second book and then read the last one when it comes out. 









Image result for the night circusThe Night Circus by Erin Morgenstern 

This book is whimsical but still eerie and frightening. I don't know how Erin did it, but it worked very very well. The characters are all so intriguing and different. It's brilliant. The beginning is a bit slow due to world building and the end is slightly confusing but it is just beautifully written and crafted. I hope to reread it soon. 













Image result for a great and terrible beautyA Great and Terrible Beauty by Libba Bray

Weird shit goes down. It is a three book series and I wish there was more. In this book there is another dimension and strange creatures in it and it is just super creepy. It  also falls into the historical fiction genre, and it's a boarding school book so it has got all the good stuff! It also covers some pretty serious topics such as gender equality and homophobia. However I do find that all the relationships in this series were quite toxic and the author never acknowledges that.

Goodreads link










Image result for the raven boysThe Raven Boys by Maggie Stiefvater 

This book is more paranormal. There are ghosts, psychics and all that jazz. I loved a lot the characters because of how quirky they are. There are going to be four books in this series and the third one comes out on October 21. 









Image result for harry potter and the philosopher's stoneHarry Potter and the Philosopher's Stone by J.K Rowling 

The grand hall filled with amazing deserts and trolls in the dungeon. If you haven't read these already there is no better time to start than now. And if you've already read them, now's the perfect time to reread them. 














Here is a playlist on 8tracks of some Halloween-y music. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heir of Fire review and discussion

All of the stars because Celaena rattles the stars. Spoiler free review Celaena returns bent and broken but damn she made a speedy recovery. We are introduced to new characters and new plots in this installment of the series. It was formidable. All of it. The writing was amazing, the character development was better than ever and the story is beyond words. I highly highly recommend every book in this series. Novellas and everything. I think it's safe to say that this is my favourite series of all time. I love it even more than The Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm so sorry Will but it's the truth. If I go into any detail at all it will spoil you so I'm just going to leave this hoping that you all get the message. 

In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken Review+Discussion

★ ★ ★ I might say 3.5 stars instead. I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet. On it's own it was a good book, but as a conclusion to a wonderful trilogy I was not satisfied. The characters seemed to be going backwards in their character development  at times.  I also didn't like how some problems were resolved as well. I feel like if we got rid of some of the useless scenes in the beginning there would be more time to develop the ending and write an epilogue to clear all the political problems. This book also lacked in humor so if you start reading expecting to have a good time you are going to be disappointed.  It really saddens me to have to write such a negative review when I had such high hopes for this conclusion. 

The Retribution of Mara Dyer review+discussion

Overall rating: 90% Alrighty so let's get down to business, I loved this book. It was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful series. It was a fantastic book all on its own. The Retribution of Mara Dyer was just as witty as all the other books while being even darker than the last two.  I loved Jamie and Mara's relationship. Their banter made me laugh out loud. And I also really enjoyed how near the end we got POV's from Noah.we got a few different POV's as well that were beautifully incorporated into the book. This is a truly amazingly woven series and I highly recommend it. My absolute favourite thing about this book is that Mara has no qualms about becoming this darker person. She has no guilt for feeling this way either. It makes her super badass and in my opinion easier to relate to. She is ready to do what she has to do in order to save herself and those she loves. It saves us as readers, from pulling out hairs and yelling "You should have killed t