Skip to main content

August Book Haul

A lot of the books I read this month were library books, eBooks or were in my TBR pile. These are just the books I purchased this moth. I'll be sure to post an "August Reads" later on so be on the lookout for that!



Earlier this month I picked up the first two books in The Lunar Chronicles at my local library. I was entranced with the story line, the world and the characters. I fell in love. In two days I finished both books and was eager to read the third. In a crazed trance I hurried to open up the library website to put a hold on Cress. But alas I was the fourth person on the waiting list. With plan A having failed I came up with plan B. Buying the eBook on my laptop. I started reading around 6 PM that day and I stayed up until the wee hours of the morning. It was horrible. My eyes stung, I had a blood test to take at 9 AM the next day and I still hadn't finished the book. After taking the blood test, (with minimal tears!) I rewarded myself with a trip to the bookstore. Of course I did. I bought Cress and life was sparkly. Adios eBook! 

Then Isla and the Happily Ever After came out and I needed it. I hadn't read much since Cress and I knew Stephanie Perkins would lift my spirits. A few days after it was released I went to the bookstore and practically ran to the Young Adult section. And there was Isla in all her hardcover book glory. I cradled the book to my chest and turned around ready to head to the checkout. And then The Kiss of Deception caught my eye. I had heard Regan from Peruseproject on YouTube mention this book and I was really hoping to pick it up sometime. I attempted convincing myself that today was not that time. I had gotten what I came for. But nope, I caved. I picked up The Kiss of Deception by Mary E Pearson and then tried to leave once more. That-obviously-did not happen. I ended up also getting The 5th Wave by Rick Yancey, Obsidian and Onyx by Jennifer L Armentrout, The Sweet Far thing by Libba Bray and two more books. (I forgot to include them in the photo, I'm sorry!)  

At the checkout I noticed a sale they were having. Uh oh. Two pocket books (originally 13$ each) were on sale for 2 for 15$. I saw Outlander. I started watching the show just the week before and I loved it. Scottish accents make me weak at the knees. So I grabbed the first book and then I searched for the second. They didn't have it. Fine, I'd grab the third and come back for the second later. Tough luck. They didn't have that one either. So I bought the first book and the fourth book. Now they are sitting in the closed of part of my bookshelf because they are big and intimidating. I'm a horrible person, I know. Why buy books if you're afraid of reading them? Bookstore give me adrenaline rushes, I can't control myself in there. 

And that was the story for today! What books have you bought and never really picked up? Do books ever intimidate you? Or am I stranger than I thought? Who knows. 

- Nerissa :3








Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heir of Fire review and discussion

All of the stars because Celaena rattles the stars. Spoiler free review Celaena returns bent and broken but damn she made a speedy recovery. We are introduced to new characters and new plots in this installment of the series. It was formidable. All of it. The writing was amazing, the character development was better than ever and the story is beyond words. I highly highly recommend every book in this series. Novellas and everything. I think it's safe to say that this is my favourite series of all time. I love it even more than The Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm so sorry Will but it's the truth. If I go into any detail at all it will spoil you so I'm just going to leave this hoping that you all get the message. 

In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken Review+Discussion

★ ★ ★ I might say 3.5 stars instead. I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet. On it's own it was a good book, but as a conclusion to a wonderful trilogy I was not satisfied. The characters seemed to be going backwards in their character development  at times.  I also didn't like how some problems were resolved as well. I feel like if we got rid of some of the useless scenes in the beginning there would be more time to develop the ending and write an epilogue to clear all the political problems. This book also lacked in humor so if you start reading expecting to have a good time you are going to be disappointed.  It really saddens me to have to write such a negative review when I had such high hopes for this conclusion. 

The Retribution of Mara Dyer review+discussion

Overall rating: 90% Alrighty so let's get down to business, I loved this book. It was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful series. It was a fantastic book all on its own. The Retribution of Mara Dyer was just as witty as all the other books while being even darker than the last two.  I loved Jamie and Mara's relationship. Their banter made me laugh out loud. And I also really enjoyed how near the end we got POV's from Noah.we got a few different POV's as well that were beautifully incorporated into the book. This is a truly amazingly woven series and I highly recommend it. My absolute favourite thing about this book is that Mara has no qualms about becoming this darker person. She has no guilt for feeling this way either. It makes her super badass and in my opinion easier to relate to. She is ready to do what she has to do in order to save herself and those she loves. It saves us as readers, from pulling out hairs and yelling "You should have killed t