Skip to main content

Roomies by Christina Lauren Spoiler Free Review

34466910
Roomies is another story based on one of my favourite tropes; fake dating. Our main character Holland Bakker works on the set of her uncle's Broadway play selling merch and taking photographs. Three times a week she makes the needless commute out to a subway station to hear her favourite busker play. When a member of the play's orchestra quits Holland feels that this busker could be the key to saving the show. We then learn that the busker-Calvin-is in the country illegally. In order to get him a greencard Holland offers to marry him and they have to put on a show in order to make it through the immigration interview. Inevitability Holland develops real feelings for Calvin and in true rom-com fashion, things go askew.   


This book is exactly what the authors say it is in the acknowledgments, "Pure shameless fun." It won't be winning any prestigious awards but it is the perfect way to wiggle your way out of a reading slump and enjoy yourself. This book doesn't try to impress you with prose or useless big new words in every sentence. This book loves itself and doesn't really need you to love it. 

If you read and enjoyed To All the Boys I've Loved Before by Jenny Han and are a little older, or if you've just watched the movie and are reeling a bit, this is the perfect book for you. The same fake dating concept just for an older demographic. 

I loved how realistic and relatable Holland's narrative was even though the things she said never really matched the way she thought. However there are some scenes where it is a little choppy or abrupt and I wonder if that's simply an outcome of there being two authors or if it was poor editing. Calvin's character is pretty one dimensional, he's a musical Irish sex god and that's about all there is to him really. He gives into Holland during arguments too easily and doesn't  have a voice of his own. Anytime the couple argues it was mostly patched up simply by having sex. Reading this book felt like watching a movie, the way the arc progressed and the way Holland saw life made it so that I could easily see the story adapted for film. I said there wouldn't be any spoilers in this review and that holds true but here's a little tidbit of exactly how stereotypically movie rom com it is; when Holland has an epiphany that she needs to learn to love herself she starts writing more and goes for daily runs. I just watched Set it Up on netflix not too long ago so it feels especially overdone right now but what can you really expect?

All of that to say I really enjoyed reading this novel. It's nothing groundbreaking but I think that's exactly makes it so enjoyable. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heir of Fire review and discussion

All of the stars because Celaena rattles the stars. Spoiler free review Celaena returns bent and broken but damn she made a speedy recovery. We are introduced to new characters and new plots in this installment of the series. It was formidable. All of it. The writing was amazing, the character development was better than ever and the story is beyond words. I highly highly recommend every book in this series. Novellas and everything. I think it's safe to say that this is my favourite series of all time. I love it even more than The Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm so sorry Will but it's the truth. If I go into any detail at all it will spoil you so I'm just going to leave this hoping that you all get the message. 

In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken Review+Discussion

★ ★ ★ I might say 3.5 stars instead. I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet. On it's own it was a good book, but as a conclusion to a wonderful trilogy I was not satisfied. The characters seemed to be going backwards in their character development  at times.  I also didn't like how some problems were resolved as well. I feel like if we got rid of some of the useless scenes in the beginning there would be more time to develop the ending and write an epilogue to clear all the political problems. This book also lacked in humor so if you start reading expecting to have a good time you are going to be disappointed.  It really saddens me to have to write such a negative review when I had such high hopes for this conclusion. 

The Retribution of Mara Dyer review+discussion

Overall rating: 90% Alrighty so let's get down to business, I loved this book. It was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful series. It was a fantastic book all on its own. The Retribution of Mara Dyer was just as witty as all the other books while being even darker than the last two.  I loved Jamie and Mara's relationship. Their banter made me laugh out loud. And I also really enjoyed how near the end we got POV's from Noah.we got a few different POV's as well that were beautifully incorporated into the book. This is a truly amazingly woven series and I highly recommend it. My absolute favourite thing about this book is that Mara has no qualms about becoming this darker person. She has no guilt for feeling this way either. It makes her super badass and in my opinion easier to relate to. She is ready to do what she has to do in order to save herself and those she loves. It saves us as readers, from pulling out hairs and yelling "You should have killed t