Skip to main content

Red Queen by Victoria Aveyard Review+Discussion

22328546This book takes place in a very Hunger Games like society. The rich get richer by basically enslaving the poor. The twist is that the rich are only rich because they have abilities and the poor are only poor because they don't.

If your blood is silver, you have abilities and if your blood is red, then you're normal. Except for our main character, Mare. Because of this anomaly, she is kept at the castle and forced into an engagement with the younger prince.

The king and queen tell the people that Mare actually has silver blood but she was raised as a red. Thus making her an aspiration to all the red blooded people, in hopes that this ends the red blooded rebellion.

You can see where things, probably go askew.

Don't lie, kids.

In the end I gave this book 2.5 stars. It's not that the book was bad or anything. It was simply overhyped. I personally found the main character to be naive, and the plot to be predictable.

Spoilers under the cut!

Alright, let's get this out there.

Mare was unbelievably stupid. She was quick to trust and quick to risk her life and others.

Her relationship with Kilorn wasn't flushed out well enough to my liking.

I called her brother being alive.

And who didn't see the whole Maven thing coming?

I just found this book to be okay. It wasn't special or interesting even, it was just okay.

Let me know what you guys thought of it down in the comments! I'm actually very interested to hear why some people absolutely adored it, so by all means feel free to start up a debate with me.


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Read This Month: August

These are just mini reviews of the books I've read this month. Be warned they may have minor spoilers!  In this wrap up I reviewed: Cinder, Scarlet, Cress, Glitches, The Queen's Army, Four, Rebel Angels, Isla and the Happily Ever After, The Kiss of Deception, The Sweet Far Thing, Obsidian  and Onyx. 

Onyx by Jennifer L. Armentrout review/discussion

 These books are really good to read over a longer period of time. I read a few pages every night before going to bed and it was the highlight of my day. I think that if you read it in one sitting you'll get way too annoyed with the characters and then you'll end up hating the book. Sooooo if you have yet to read these books (or if you tried reading them but just couldn't because of  hair pulling and book throwing  all the frustration it caused, I recommend taking on a new approach. Take baby steps. Don't bite off more than you can chew, if you will. Try reading it little by little. No spoilers section (I don't think anyone's reading this seeing as I am the last person on earth to read these books) Daemon earned serious brownie points in this book and Katy didn't even see it. HE BUYS HER A STRAWBERRY SMOOTHIE !!! I'd marry him right then and there. I found Katy and Dee's relationship lacking though. They addressed this issue near the end but it ...

Heir of Fire review and discussion

All of the stars because Celaena rattles the stars. Spoiler free review Celaena returns bent and broken but damn she made a speedy recovery. We are introduced to new characters and new plots in this installment of the series. It was formidable. All of it. The writing was amazing, the character development was better than ever and the story is beyond words. I highly highly recommend every book in this series. Novellas and everything. I think it's safe to say that this is my favourite series of all time. I love it even more than The Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm so sorry Will but it's the truth. If I go into any detail at all it will spoil you so I'm just going to leave this hoping that you all get the message.