Skip to main content

The Winner's Crime Review+Discussion

20443207This book.

So this is the sequel to The Winner's Curse, if you haven't read it yet I highly recommend it. It was one of my favourite books of 2014 and this sequel lives up to the standards of the first book.

The writing was brilliant, the characters hurt me in the best possible way and just look at that cover. The sequel took a dark and gory turn and I adored it. I'm angry at it, but I adore it.

If you liked Throne of Glass then you're sure to love this book as well. It's not as intricate or intense as Throne of Glass but it still has the same vibe.

So that's it for the spoiler free section, if you have read The Winner's Crime then feel free to read what's under the cut and join my little rants and discussions in the comments! We'll have a delightful conversation.




So Verex and Kestrel start off on shaky grounds. I really loved seeing how in the end they were able to become friends. He cared for her and I think Kestrel cared for him a little bit too. It was cute how she helped him win the game of Borderlands during their engagement party. And then there was the puppy. I instantly thought of Fleetfoot and how Dorian from Throne of Glass loved being in the kennels as well. And when Kestrel slapped the guard that mocked Verex.

I did not like Jess, I understand where she was coming from but I don't care. You stick by your friends even when you don't understand their decisions. And then there was Ronan, It almost felt like he had been killed off too quickly but I think that that was the right thing to do for the story.

I think I like Roshar, he's fun even though he's annoying. I don't know how I feel about Risha, that will all depend on if she puts her assassin skills to work. And I'm not a fan of the Queen. Her character wasn't really flushed out and whenever we did see her she just upset me. No alliance, maybe alliance, not talking to you, but wait let's have a heated make out session. I don't trust her.

I was skeptical about Tensen from the very beginning. If only he had given Arin the letter everything would have been okay. But no, mother knows best. (I hope you're singing the song from Tangled right now.)

I was starting to like Kestrel's dad. It was cute how he would secretly listen to Kestrel play and I really enjoyed the story of how he took Kestrel hunting when she was little. But then he just had to go and betray us all.

So now Kestrel is on her way to the mines (Throne of Glass)  and her only hope is that a nameless man saw the chameleon moth and that he has the intention of delivering the message to Arin. Of course he will, otherwise it's all over but how long is that going to take? What will the mines do to Kestrel's pianist hands?

The next book is called The Winner's Kiss. Do you see that? It's a teeny tiny little speck of hope solely based on that title. Chances are it's not going to be the kind of kiss that I want but hope remains.

The stress of this series is going to kill me.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Heir of Fire review and discussion

All of the stars because Celaena rattles the stars. Spoiler free review Celaena returns bent and broken but damn she made a speedy recovery. We are introduced to new characters and new plots in this installment of the series. It was formidable. All of it. The writing was amazing, the character development was better than ever and the story is beyond words. I highly highly recommend every book in this series. Novellas and everything. I think it's safe to say that this is my favourite series of all time. I love it even more than The Infernal Devices trilogy. I'm so sorry Will but it's the truth. If I go into any detail at all it will spoil you so I'm just going to leave this hoping that you all get the message. 

In The Afterlight by Alexandra Bracken Review+Discussion

★ ★ ★ I might say 3.5 stars instead. I haven't quite made up my mind about it yet. On it's own it was a good book, but as a conclusion to a wonderful trilogy I was not satisfied. The characters seemed to be going backwards in their character development  at times.  I also didn't like how some problems were resolved as well. I feel like if we got rid of some of the useless scenes in the beginning there would be more time to develop the ending and write an epilogue to clear all the political problems. This book also lacked in humor so if you start reading expecting to have a good time you are going to be disappointed.  It really saddens me to have to write such a negative review when I had such high hopes for this conclusion. 

The Retribution of Mara Dyer review+discussion

Overall rating: 90% Alrighty so let's get down to business, I loved this book. It was a fantastic conclusion to a wonderful series. It was a fantastic book all on its own. The Retribution of Mara Dyer was just as witty as all the other books while being even darker than the last two.  I loved Jamie and Mara's relationship. Their banter made me laugh out loud. And I also really enjoyed how near the end we got POV's from Noah.we got a few different POV's as well that were beautifully incorporated into the book. This is a truly amazingly woven series and I highly recommend it. My absolute favourite thing about this book is that Mara has no qualms about becoming this darker person. She has no guilt for feeling this way either. It makes her super badass and in my opinion easier to relate to. She is ready to do what she has to do in order to save herself and those she loves. It saves us as readers, from pulling out hairs and yelling "You should have killed t